Project DetailsVezi galerie foto
The smart city foundation has a resistance pillar on economy of resources. Thus, energy efficiency is another area where IoT solutions bring considerable benefits both to the municipality and to the people. In the pilot project Alba Iulia Smart City, Orange tests InteliLIGHT– a smart way to manage public lighting using the LoRaWAN IoT network. The solution is mounted on 101 pillars in the city, allowing automatic and remote adjustment of street lighting, thus generating major savings of electricity.
In Alba Iulia, public lighting is managed by Flash Lighting Services company. The remote control solution of the public lighting implemented by Orange is optimizing energy consumption and costs in terms of operation and maintenance of the public lighting system. Testing assumed installation on public lighting bodies of controllers operating on LoRaWAN technology. They interact with access points (LoRaWAN gateways) installed throughout the city by Orange and with the public lighting software platform managed by Flash lighting Services.
The InteliLIGH’s remote management platform has been made available to Flash Lighting Services to conduct analyses related to the efficiency of intelligent lighting and to evaluate the benefits of this smart city component.
The installation of controllers has been coupled with the replacement of a number of existing lighting fixtures with electronic ballast LED lamps, which allow maximum optimisation of energy consumption (optimising the functionality of dimming according to needs). This optimization can be compared with current energy consumption – classic public lighting (equipped with high-pressure sodium), estimated at 250Wh on each pillar.
After identifying the installation areas and the existing number of lighting poles, which were adapted to be remotedly controlled via LoRaWAN technology, Orange installed a number of 101 smart devices on Nicolae Bălcescu Street and on the Coronation Boulevard from Alba Iulia.
The devices were provided by Flashnet, the Orange partner in this project, and were mounted on the lighting poles. By means of the management solution, the lighting system is remotely controlled, with the possibility of setting the operating program and the intensity of light, over the LoRaWAN network. Devices send alarms and provide real-time information about electricity consumption for each luminaire. In addition to this micromanagement function, the 101 lighting fixtures were changed to LED ones. The operation of the public lighting service is carried out by the partner Flash Lighting Services.
Smart City Platform
Thanks to the control at the level of LED lamp, street light networks managed by InteliLIGHT are continuously linked to the power source. Therefore, there are a large number of sensors and devices that can be linked to the street lighting network, using any means of communication available (e.g. LoRaWAN) and which can be coordinated via InteliLIGHT or other dedicated applications .
Many of the equipment and sensors that can connect to the intelligent public lighting network have the role of improving citizens ‘ lives and contributing to maintaining a safer and cleaner environment for the city: CCTV cameras, pollution sensors, noise detectors, traffic density sensors, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, etc. Other devices can make their contribution to the safety zone of the intelligent lighting system: light sensors, inspection cabinet (door) sensors, impact sensors, cut cable detection sensors etc. In addition, the system supports connectivity through API with other city management applications, being synergistically integrated with other smart systems and smart city solutions.
Technical specificationsVezi galerie foto
The Intelligent public lighting solution piloted by Orange in Alba Iulia Smart City is based on controllers that communicate over a LoRaWAN network and can control an electronic dimmable ballast of up to 400W. They are installed on street lamps without the need for any changes to existing infrastructure.
The controllers communicate over the network with a central server that benefits from a Web interface that can set certain operating hours and can see statistics of the different consumptions recorded by the device (power consumed, active energy, reactive energy, etc.).
General benefits, for the municipality and for citizens:
- Reducing energy consumption by almost 50%, which means an important reduction in local budget expenditure;
- Intelligent public lighting provides safer traffic conditions, a safer pedestrian environment and can be a great improvement for the city’s architectural, touristic and commercial aspects;
- Reduce consumption by smart switching on/off, progressive decrease and efficient consumption management;
- Decreasing operational costs up to 42% by detailed maintenance and grid interventions based on system-generated reports;
- Blurring of street lights during periods of low traffic and stopping them when they are not required;
- Constant monitoring of energy consumption allows identification and reduction of energy losses;
- Extending the life of the equipment by anticipating and avoiding defects through real-time 24/7 network monitoring;
- Providing accurate information of malfunctions, sent directly to the technical department (detailed information problem, exact location);
- Reducing the stock value of spare parts by accurately monitoring the life cycle of the equipment;
- Increasing the energy sustainability of the city through a cleaner environment: by reducing energy waste and therefore the amount of CO2 emitted, the InteliLIGHT ® system reduces the impact that lighting has on the environment, contributing to compliance to the environmental norms;
- A significant decrease in light pollution affecting migratory birds and wildlife;
- Having 99.99% uptime-running times, the InteliLIGH solution helps to avoid the risk of accidents due to faults of the lighting system. Most of the lighting problems are detected and addressed before seeing them;
- By providing energy and communication through the lighting network, InteliLIGHT becomes a real platform for the implementation of other Smart City systems, thereby improving the living conditions and increasing attractiveness for the city’s business environment.